creative, Mental Health, Uncategorized
Leave a Comment

What type of therapist do I need?

There are so many types of different therapists, and it can be challenging to figure out which one is the right fit for you or your child. This blog post will hopefully help you make a better-informed decision on which kind of therapy is best for you or your kids.

A psychotherapist primarily uses talk therapy and can help children dealing with a wide range of issues, including but not limited to ADHD, anxiety, depression, executive functioning, eating and food issues, sleep and emotional regulation. The psychotherapists on our team have been trained in various modalities, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Emotion Focused Therapy as well as art and play therapy. Since psychotherapy is a regulated profession, it is often covered by insurance companies. Psychotherapy fees are not covered by OHIP. A psychotherapist cannot diagnose mental health or behavioural disorders and are unable to provide prescriptions or medication.

While a psychologist
 can provide a mental health diagnosis, they cannot prescribe medications. Psychology fees are not covered by OHIP, though many insurance companies provide psychology coverage. A psychologist can do psycho-educational assessments. Psychologists typically see clients for 6-20 sessions but occasionally do one-off assessments.

An art therapist is someone who is trained in psychotherapy and art therapy. An art therapist can help a child express themselves not only verbally but through art as well. Art therapy is not a regulated profession and, thus, is often not covered by most insurance companies.

A psychiatrist can assess for and diagnose mental health concerns and prescribe medication. They may make recommendations to the primary care provider about prescriptions. Sessions with a psychiatrist are covered by OHIP and require a referral by a GP.

A development pediatrician can assess for autism, ADHD and other developmental and neurodevelopment disorders. Their services are covered by OHIP, and a primary care provider can refer children to a developmental pediatrician.

Social workers are regulated health professionals who work with clients—individuals, families, groups and communities—to improve individual and collective well-being. They often work in interdisciplinary teams to provide services, share resources, improve conditions and create opportunities for growth, recovery and personal development.

This entry was posted in: creative, Mental Health, Uncategorized


Nikki is the owner/director of Seasons Family Centre. She completed a diploma in photography at Fanshawe College, followed by a degree in psychology at the University of Western Ontario. Shortly after she finished a post-graduate diploma at the Toronto Art Therapy Institute. She is a Registered Canadian Art Therapist. Over the next few years she extended her education through various courses in psychology, counselling and play therapy at George Brown College, Hincks Delcrest and Cross Country Education. For the past several years Nikki has been running art programs all across the city of Toronto at various schools, community centres, libraries and private homes. She also runs play therapy groups at Thorncliffe Neighbourhood Offices as well as private art therapy sessions. Nikki has taken several courses in baking and cake decorating through the Wilton certification program.

Leave a Reply